Tuesday, October 16, 2007

am i old? wait...don't answer that.

I am 36 (and three-quarters). I have a husband, a kid, a house, a job, and way too many pets (two dogs is two dogs too many, just ask Richard). But, about 90% of my social life is related to spending time with my brother and sister, who are 28 and 25, and their partners, roommates, and friends. (The other 10% of my social life seems to be spent sending facebook messages and blog comments to Jocelyn, who is 23.) And I love this, I really do. But it is sometimes weird. I worry about turning into an old person who is trying too hard to be young and cool and fun. I think I am having an early midlife crisis, probably. I have always been the responsible older sister -- I even drove the carpool when I was in high school, for god's sake. I got married when I was 23, while living in Cecil County, MD, the pinnacle of all that is cool (if you are into Wal-Mart and hunting). Suffice it to say that I did not spend my 20s in hip cities with roommates and trolleys and bars. But maybe I am not so old and desperate -- maybe 36 is the new 26? I don't know.

I do know that this past weekend, after a really long work week, I wanted to go out and drink many beers. So I called Margit and made some plans. I met up with "the kids" (Margit and Marianne, Andrew and Brian) in West Philly and after making and eating some delicious soups (a creamy delicato squash, and a fresh corn chowder -- yay Clark Park Farmers Market) and hearty grilled cheese sandwiches (thank you crusty artisan bread and fresh tomatoes from Andrew's garden), we hit the town.

First, Bob and Barbara's, a hipster dive bar festooned with PBR paraphenalia. I drank several "citywide specials" -- how can you say no to a can of PBR and a shot of Jim Beam for $3? (as a side note on this portion of the expedition, if you are a really overweight guy, don't wear a big football shirt with the name "Jibbles" written on the back -- it's not a good look.) Then, when the boys pussied out at around midnight, Margit, Marianne, and I headed over to the Gayborhood and hit a piano bar (duh) and then the famous lesbian bar, Sisters (finally, after all these years of hearing about it, I witnessed the magic in person). The girls wanted to give me the complete Philly experience, so after closing, we took a cab to South Philly and joined the long line of drunkards at Pat's, for the ultimate hangover prevention -- a "cheesesteak wit whiz." For you west coasters (jocelyn...whatever), that's a cheesesteak with fried onions and yummy yummy cheesewhiz. mmmmmmmm. We then took a cab back to the girls' apartment (during the cab ride, I made Margit text me a message reminding me to see if "Taxicab Confessions" is available on DVD from Netflix...makes it sound like things got racy in cab, doesn't it?) where I crashed in their roommate's bed (thanks Chelsea) at around 3:30 am. Amazingly, when I woke up the next morning, I was not hungover -- I fully credit Pat's for that.

Long story short, I had a really good time. But was it weird? Should I be hanging out with other moms, drinking cosmos, and playing Bunco instead of hitting hipster bars with 20-somethings, drinking cheap nasty beer and making fun of guys named Jibbles? (At the very least, I think I should stay away from the PBR in the future -- it was not friends with my intestines.)

So let me know what you think -- am I a desperate old hag or just a 36-year-old who is young at heart? All opinions are welcome. Unless you think I am a desperate old hag. Keep that to yourself.

8 comments:

jocelyn said...

3 thoughts:

1) i think your most admirable trait is your ability to balance being an "adult" and being a "kid." it seems really ridiculous that you'd have to stop having fun at a certain age.

2) i felt really happy when i didn't know what "bunco" was, for whatever reason

3) maybe drinking PBR at 36 pushes some boundary. i'm not sure which, i just feel this in my gut (incidentally the same guts that PBR loves to tear apart)

kirsten said...

i know...the PBR was a bad choice. I need to stick with something classier, like yeungling.

maude said...

as a side note:

jocelyn and justin and i were joking about going to philly and getting each other tattoos for christmas. it was one of those jokes where you look around and wonder if everyone is joking, and secretly hope they're not. [at least on my part] so...no, you are not old, and to prove it, i think you should come out with us [me, at least] and get a badass tattoo for christmas.*

also, old people don't have kelly clarkson on their ipods. old people don't even have ipods. haha. stupid old people.

*it doesn't have to be christmas-themed, although that isn't completely discouraged.

jocelyn said...

oh, i'm not sure any of us were kidding about the tattoos.

kirsten, you should come. you need the cake tattoo...

Margit said...

let me see. I totally forgot the taxicab confessions part, but my favorite was in line at Pat's when you came to realization that we all were in fact Drunk...I had a great time, and lets be honest Andy is 28 and BRash is only 25 and they pussied out at 1130. We should revoke thier young cards...

Unknown said...

Ehhh? I didn't hear you go out. I must have misplaced my ear trumpet. Now I know why you didn't bring me my warm milk and slippers after American Bandstand ended. Hrrumph.

jess said...

Ok normally I don't post comments. I am one of those blog-voyeur people, love to read them hate to post.
That being said I am so not concerned with the age thing. However, we do need to talk about the PBR thing - sensing some kinda theme CC, PBR, shot of JB? Yikes.
Oh, I dispise bunco and was introduced to it in not so sunny CA.

kirsten said...

JoJo and Ally:

I am so in for the tattoo.

Hugs,
me