Monday, November 5, 2007

a top ten (or nine) list

Richard and I have had a long-standing discussion about our top ten favorite songs, and whether or not it is even possible to come up with a list like this. So much about the music that we (a royal "we") like is situational - where we are in our lives, what music is popular, and what things resonate with us. There are songs that you love and could listen to over and over again without getting sick of them, that really don't mean anything in particular. Or songs that remind you of a person or event -- where the love of the song has little to do with the song itself. Or songs that just nail an emotion or experience -- not even one that has necessarily happened to you.

I have been racking my brain to come up with a list of my Top Ten Favorite Songs -- and it has been tough. But here is what I have so far, in no particular order -- because that would be impossible.

"Wishlist" -- Pearl Jam. I like Pearl Jam just fine, but would not put them on my top ten favorite bands list. "Wishlist," however, is amazing. The lyrics capture obsessive love perfectly. Best line: "I wish I was the souvenir you kept your house keys on."

"Hands Down" -- Dashboard Confessional with Michael Stipe. I probably know three Dashboard Confessional songs, including this one, and in this case, much prefer the version with Michael Stipe to the original. This song evokes the perfect teenage summer lust so clearly -- the lyrics play out cinematically in my mind. And if you crank it really loud in the car, it is super-fun to sing along to.

"Casimir Pulaski Day" -- Sufjan Stevens. Another cinematic song. Heartbreakingly beautiful.

"Lose Yourself" -- Eminem. I am hardly a rap afficionado, but this is a damn fine song. Awesome fist-pumping lyrics. And how many people can work a shout-out to Mehkhi Phifer into their rhymes?

"Beautiful Disaster" -- Kelly Clarkson. So overwrought in every way, and therefore, unparalleled for singing along to. Kelly will always be my American Idol.

"Top of the World" -- Dixie Chicks. This song gets me every time. A clear warning not to turn into a bitter, lonely old man.

"Shaking Hands (Soldier's Joy)" -- Michelle Shocked. A charming little ditty about a morphine-addicted Civil War soldier. Richard and I listened to this album (Arkansas Traveler) non-stop on our honeymoon -- a three-week long cross-country drive. Good times.

"Standing" -- Giles from the Cast of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Poor Giles -- he just wanted to be Buffy's dad, and Buffy could never get that. Buffy played a big part in my family for many years. And the musical episode makes for a rollicking sing-along. Even Lucy knows all the words.

"Toxic" -- Britney Spears. Say what you will about Britney, but this song rocks. And it reminds me of the first summer we went to Camp Tockwogh for Family Camp. I challenge you NOT to dance or sing along when you hear it.

OK -- that's nine. There are so many more, so I am copping out now, before I have to make tough choices. I'd love to hear what some of your favorite songs are, loyal reader(s). Please let me know.

3 comments:

jocelyn said...

i love this list.

i somehow thought you hated britney spears. i am glad you are on my side.

kirsten said...

hate britney? perish the thought. she is just misunderstood.

Ran Barton said...

Kirsten - Here's a list of mine inspired by this post of yours.
http://rbiii.wordpress.com/2007/11/11/songs-i-love/

Ran